Saturday, 6 February 2021

Words of Healing and Forgiveness

 

Luke 7:1-17, 36-50

 

There is a lot in this reading today.

A few comments:

The army officer would have been Roman, and we don’t know what the background of the slave is.

Why help a Roman officer?

Why heal the slave, why not set the slave free?

 

Then the story of the widow’s son. Jesus does not ask the woman if she wants her son back, he acts out of compassion.

 

The people in these two healing stories are either outsiders or vulnerable or both.

 

To get attention and gain some credibility, surely Jesus would have been better off healing someone famous or important, like a national leader, chief priest, or a rock star. Notice the people who Jesus healed, the slave of a Roman officer and a widow.

Then the story of the woman who washes Jesus feet. The woman labelled sinful by the host of the meal.

 

One thing that stood out to me in these three events, is that Jesus spoke, and something happened.

Jesus didn’t go to the slave; Jesus spoke and the slave was healed.

Jesus stopped the funeral procession and said, “Young man, get up!” and he did.

Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.”

 

In the Bible we see the power of words:

In the creation story in Genesis one, God spoke creation into being

In John’s gospel we read of Jesus, the Word of God

 

I think of the power of how we use words in worship:

Words declaring Forgiveness

Words of blessing, such as the peace.

 

The words of Jesus to us are powerful:

Healing

Offering grace

Saying I love you

Words that include

 

 

Our words are powerful:

Encouraging

Supporting

Welcoming

Shunning

Undermining.

 

Words are powerful!

 

 

A story that made the news this week is Daniel & Leila Abdallah who created i4give Day as a remembrance of the four angels, three of their children and a niece, that were tragically killed on the 1st of February 2020.[i]

 

 

 

[image of I4give logo https://www.i4give.com/



 

They are a Maronite Catholic couple

 

Leila told the media during the days after the accident. “The guy, I know he was [allegedly] drunk, driving on this street. Right now I can’t hate him. I don’t want to see him, [but] I don’t hate him,”

“I think in my heart to forgive him, but I want the court to be fair. It’s all about fairness. I’m not going to hate him, because that’s not who we are.”[ii]

 

I’m not going to hate him, because that’s not who we are.” – nothing about what he deserves, or about the driver’s remorse. that’s not who we are.

What a witness to grace.

 

[image https://www.i4give.com/ page with heart] 

 


 

Danny & Leila Abdallah. “Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give yourself and others. The more you practice the better you become at it and it allows you to live peacefully and to heal. Forgiveness is more for the forgiver than the forgiven” [iii]

 

 

Here is another quote about forgiveness:


When we don’t forgive, when hold onto hate, when we want retribution, our hearts and lives become clogged with hate, fear, anxiety, and rage.

Forgiving allows you to not be tied to the past, to not let the one who hurt you continue to have power in your life.

 

I think forgiveness can also set the person being forgiven free, as well as the person forgiving.

Forgiveness doesn’t mean no consequences, but it allows a person to not be held by their past.

I am sure there are things in your past you would prefer did not happen – some would be mistakes, and some intentional.

Have you accepted the forgiveness of God?

Have you forgiven yourself?

 

And there will be some people in our past we never want to see again, can you forgive them?

 

 


 

 

 

 

I wonder if by grouping these stories together Luke is making a connection between forgiveness and healing.

When people talk to me about the pain and hurt in their life, some of that is physical, and ongoing continual pain is hard to bear.

Generally, I find the hardest pain for people to deal with is the pain that comes from

rejection by someone close;
broken family relationships;
shame or
guilt.

 

Shame is a focus on self,

guilt is a focus on behaviour.
Shame is “I am bad.”
Guilt is “I did something bad.”

 

Notice the difference?


How many of you, if you did something that was hurtful to me, would be willing to say, “I’m sorry. I made a mistake?”
How many of you would be willing to say that?
Guilt: I’m sorry. I made a mistake.
Shame: I’m sorry. I am a mistake.[iv] Brene Brown

 

Shame can be incredibly difficult for people to deal with. It often comes from words, and actions, that tell people they are not wanted, they don’t count, life would be better without them.

God never says that to us. Never!

 

What we hear in the gospel, the good news Jesus came to live out, is that

·       we are loved,

·       you are loved

·       your sins are forgiven

·       you are freed from what holds you shackled to the past

·       you get to start anew

 

It doesn’t mean the past did not happen,

But we don’t need to stay in that place.

People in abusive relationships leave, they may forgive, but that doesn’t mean they go back to the abuse.

 

If you get a bad haircut, you forgive the hairdresser, but remember to go somewhere different next time. Why hold onto the anger, all it does is eat us away from the inside.

 

 

 

 

 


[image https://www.i4give.com/ image with broken chains]

 

 

Our words have power,

They can bring hope and joy and peace into someone’s life

Or despair and shame and hurt.

What do you use your words for?

Are you following in the ways of Jesus and using your words to heal and forgive?

 

Danny & Leila Abdallah. “Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give yourself and others. The more you practice the better you become at it and it allows you to live peacefully and to heal.” [v]

 

May you find healing in the grace of God

And may you work with God in offering that grace to others.

 

 

Silence

 

 

Prayer

God who brings grace and peace

Help us to hear and accept your words to us

 

I love you

I forgive you

You are free

 

Jesus the Word, whose words bring healing and hope,

Help us to use our voices in ways that heal broken hearts and broken lives.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment