The
passage we heard from Luke’s gospel this morning is one we usually hear close
to Christmas. Some traditions also hear this passage on the Feast of the Annunciation,
celebrated in late March or early April.[i]
During
August, we will be hearing some readings from the first two chapters of Luke’s
Gospel. This means we get to ponder aspects of these stories without the
wrapping of Christmas.
It
is thought that the Gospel of Luke was probably written by a Gentile, educated
in Greek, and a companion of Paul. He wrote predominately for a Gentile audience
and he explains some of the Jewish practices of his day.
Luke
is one of two gospels that include stories around the time of the birth of
Jesus. The other one is Matthew. The passage we heard this morning does not
appear in Matthew’s gospel, only in Luke.
The
first two chapters of Luke includes some beautiful poetry, expressing the
presence of God in the lives of the faithful of Israel.
Each
of the next 4 weeks we will hear one of the following songs of praise to God:
• The Magnificat of Mary (1:46-55)
• The Benedictus of Zechariah (1:67-79)
• The Gloria of the Angels (2:14)
• The Nunc Dimittus of Simeon (2:29-32)[ii]
The
song of Mary is beautiful, but it is also full of meaning. Mary sings of a
world changed,
·
a world where people are not poor,
·
a world where people are not oppressed,
·
a world where God’s mercy is evident.
Mary
sings of a God she knows -
I
wonder if that changes the way Mary responds to the Angel. She knows God as one
who can be trusted,
one
who has acted in the history of her people,
one
who calls people others consider unsuitable.
Mary
didn't only sing about God’s mercy and the world being turned upside down, she
willingly embraced and entered into God’s action in her life and the world.
…
Earlier
this morning I asked you to think about God moments, times when you were
especially aware of God’s presence.
Times
when God
spoke
to you
Touched
your life
Guided
you
Healed
you or
freed
you
in
chapter one of Luke we hear of two God moments.
Zachariah
is from a priestly family; an angel, that is a messenger of God, speaks to Zachariah
while he is in the holy place; this was a place where only priests could enter,
and then one at a time. Tradition is that the priest wore a garment with bells
on the hem, and a rope around his waist; that way if God struck him dead, he
could be pulled out from behind the curtain.
Zachariah
is aware of the Angel’s presence, confused by the message that the prayers of him
and his wife will be answered, and Elizabeth will bear a son, John. Not just
any boy, one who will get people ready for the Lord.
Then
we hear how one month later the angel appeared to Mary, a young woman who is
engaged.
‘Mary
reminds us of what it looks like and what it sounds like when God shows up in
your life -- unannounced, unexpected, and unplanned.’ [iii]
It
is easy when we know the end of the story to make this encounter sweet and charming.
Mary had a lot to lose, including her life, though Luke does not mention this
danger.
Luke
records that Mary’s response, after how can this happen? Was
“I am the Lord’s servant! Let it happen as you
have said.”
This
doesn’t sound like a reluctant teenager saying ‘whatever’, I have nothing
better to do, or I know you will get your way. This isn’t submissive acquiescence.
Mary’s response of Yes, is consenting to be part of God’s work in the world. I think that takes a lot of courage.
How
did you go, have you thought of a time when you a God moment?
I
remember being on retreat about twenty years ago. I send God’s presence a few
times in those few days. There were lots of times of silence, including overnight
and during breakfast. The first full day was pretty rough for me, emotionally.
The
next morning i woke up to overcast skies and an aware that God was present. I knew
the sun was there in spite of the clouds, and in the same way God was there; I wanted
to sing, my heart was full of joy, everything had changed. My life was exactly
the same as it had been, but the awareness of God’s presence, even when God
seemed silent, was life changing.
Other
God moments have encouraged me, comforted me and challenged me.
During
our reflection time this morning we have a song by Geoff Bullock. Geoff wrote many
songs during his time at Hillsong. He has
rewritten some of his songs.
Here
is part of an interview with him:
In the middle of this sad and broken
time I became aware, ever so gently, that grace was embracing me. I started to
realise that I hadn’t fallen from grace, I had fallen into it. I was no less
righteous; I had simply lost my sense of self-righteousness.
…..
…..
So I changed that song to a confession
of what God has done. It’s not “hold me close” but “you hold me close”. No
matter how dry and disappointed I am, to be able to say to myself, “It’s okay,
he’s holding you.”[iv]
Power
of your love II
please remain seated. Join in if you wish.
[i]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunciation
[ii]
https://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=187
[iii]
https://www.workingpreacher.org/craft.aspx?post=5024
[iv]
https://christianfaith.com/resources/geoff-bullock-opens-up
No comments:
Post a Comment