Saturday, 15 September 2018

Call and Blessing


One thing that stayed in my mind from reading about this passage this week, is this: “God doesn’t accept resumes, instead God calls people”[i]
Can you imagine running a business or organisation that way?
Well we aim to in the Church.
In the UCA, and many other denominations, our processes are about responding to God’s call, and often, having that call affirmed [or not] by those around us. This is not only for people in ordained ministry. This is also how it is planned for our committees and councils to operate. Disciples who are aware of the prompting of God in their lives, who acknowledge that prompting, test it out, and say yes to God.
Sometimes the call of God will be in line with our gifts and skills, but not always.
About 20 years ago, I felt God calling me to work with young families, I was in a congregation with lots of Baptisms. I had no experience, other than talking with families about baptism. I thought the best way to engage with these families was to offer some kind of worship aimed at families with little children. Worship I knew about, children I did not.
When I spoke with the Ministers in the congregation, they were encouraging, but suggested I ask some of the families what would interest them. And that is how I started a playgroup, even though I had never been to one.

All through the Bible we hear stories of people being called by God, of people responding to God’s call in their lives.
we see it here with Abram,
with Moses and the burning bush,
Elijah and the still small voice.
We see it in the disciples obeying the words of Jesus to follow.
And there are other examples of people being obedient to God’s call.

What is God’s call like?
That isn’t an easy question to answer, it is different for each person and each situation.
This morning we look at the call of Abram.
We know very little about the first 75 years of Abram’s life. After his father died, God told him to up and move.
On Friday evening we talked about moving and how you have to take everything with you. I am guessing Abram and Sarai did not have a lot of furniture, but there was at least a tent, and animals and slaves; and as one child told me, they didn’t have cars and trucks in those days. We imagine Abram with a herd of camels, but camels aren’t mentioned until Abram is given camels by the king of Egypt.

If God said to you, pack up and move, would you?
Pack up and move to a place without knowing where that will be?
Abram obeyed. While Abraham is remembered as a person of strong faith, there are times when he tried to take matters into his own hands. Remember Hagar and Ishmael. Ad following God’s call does not give you a perfect family, remember Jacob and Esau.
But also notice, that in the small section we heard this morning, Abram twice builds an altar and worships the Lord. Maybe that is one of the keys of being able to hear and follow God’s call, being people who worship wherever we are.

Where does this call lead?
A modern paraphrase:
Genesis 12:1-3 The Message (MSG)
God told Abram: “Leave your country, your family, and your father’s home for a land that I will show you.
I’ll make you a great nation
        and bless you.
    I’ll make you famous;
        you’ll be a blessing.
    I’ll bless those who bless you;
        those who curse you I’ll curse.
    All the families of the Earth
        will be blessed through you.”[ii]

Where does this call lead?
Not only a new place to live and a new name, and a family; but blessing.
God will bless Abram,
and those who bless Abram
and all the families of the earth.

The word and idea ofBlessing is pervasive in Genesis. It is a gift of God, usually mediated through creaturely agents, which empowers recipients, both elect and non-elect, to experience and bring forth life, goodness, and well-being.’[iii]

So, in plain English…
A blessing is a gift of God.
When we think of our blessings, I suspect we think of friends, family, food and shelter.
But I think that blessing goes further than that.
We are blessed because we are in relationship with God through the life and death of Jesus.
We are blessed because we are offered forgiveness and grace
We are blessed because God asks us to be partners in bringing blessings into the world.

“Blessings were never meant to be kept for ourselves. God blesses us so that we can be a blessing to others. Sharing and a generous lifestyle are marks of God’s people. It started with Abram and has been that way ever since.”[iv]
 “Along with Abram, we are also “blessed to be a blessing.” God has given us good gifts (including a loving relationship with God) so that we can share these gifts with others. God blesses us (through others), and God blesses others (through us).” [v]

Abraham was blessed to be a blessing.
He and Sarai travelled to unknown places, doubted God’s promise, saw God’s promise fulfilled and God changed their names.
Following God’s call is not always easy, but we are called to be faithful.

Where has obeying God’s call taken you?
.. a new place, a new name, a new ministry area?
Has following the prompting of the spirit in your life always been easy?
How might we be faithful in our lives?
How might we be blessings to the world God loves?



[i] http://www.integrity-authenticity-love.com/call-abraham/
[ii] The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
[iii] http://www.enterthebible.org/oldtestament.aspx?rid=20
[iv] http://www.integrity-authenticity-love.com/call-abraham/
[v] https://spiritandtruthpublishing.com/blog/the-blessing-of-abram-september-16-2018/

No comments:

Post a Comment