After
thinking about the church, this week I thought we would think through what it
is to be a Christian.
I
am sure there are lots of different readings I could have chosen when looking
at this topic.
Our
2 gospel readings both speak about commandments:
The
Mark reading has someone asking, “What is the most important commandment?”
And
in the John reading, Jesus gives a new command.
All
are to do with love.
Jesus answered, “The most important one says: ‘People of
Israel, you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your
heart, soul, mind, and strength.’ The second most important commandment
says: and ‘Love others as much as you love yourself.’
And the new command:
you must love each other, just as I have loved you.
Loving God with all
that we are - OK
Love others as much
as you love yourself. Not exactly what I was taught as a young Christian. I was
taught love God and love others, and I don’t count.
So we have:
Love God
love yourself
Love others
love each other
what might that look
like.
on
Friday night we read a few verses from 1 John – we love because God first loved
us. I asked the children what love looked like. They are clever children:
love
looks like kindness
and
hugs
saying
sorry when you hurt someone
playing
games together
I
asked them what God’s love looked like:
The
earth
People
Family
Air
and water and food and animals
I
told you they were clever children.
So
how do we:
Love
God
Love
others
Love
ourselves – because if we don’t love ourselves we can’t love others
Love
each other as Christ loved us.
I
am not suggesting any of this is easy. What might it look like in our lives.
Love
in action?
Love
God: like other people we love that will mean spending time with God - for some
that will be in church, others walking along the beach, or in the bush or a
garden, or …
for some it will be singing, or painting or drawing or laughing or dancing or silence.
for some it will be singing, or painting or drawing or laughing or dancing or silence.
The
ways we show God that we love God will be as individual and unique as each
person.
Loving
others? We can’t go around hugging everyone we meet.
In
Galatians I think we get some clues, we love others by being peaceful, patient,
kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled. The fruits of the spirit within
us. We love others by looking at the world from their point of view. In another
place Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan in response to a question
about who to love. We love when we do what is needed for someone to have life,
fullness of life.
Loving
ourselves? Sometimes I wonder the commandment should be love yourself the way
you love others, because we will often treat other people better than we treat
ourselves. We love ourselves when we give ourselves the time we need - to walk
and sing and swim and play. We give ourselves permission to make mistakes. We
forgive ourselves. We are kind to ourselves.
And
then the new command that Jesus gave to the disciples shortly before his death:
love one another as I have loved you. there is nothing sentimental about any of
this. Jesus showed love in many ways – healing, forgiving, restoring to
community, and dying. In what ways are we a community where people find that which
is life giving and healing and hopeful?
All
this reminded me of a song:
We
are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We
are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And
we pray that our unity will one day be restored
And
they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah
they'll know we are Christians by our love.
Do
people see that love in us and our interactions,
do people see Jesus in us?
in our words?
In our actions?
do people see Jesus in us?
in our words?
In our actions?
so
often when I hear people talk about what it means to be Christian, the
conversation is not about love. The conversation is about:
a
set of doctrines,
or a way of understanding the Bible,
or a prayer that you must pray
or a way of understanding the Bible,
or a prayer that you must pray
or
what you can or cannot do or eat or say
or
the length of your hair or your hem
In
Galatians we heard: All that matters is your faith that
makes you love others. At that time the debate was over the need for Christian
men to be circumcised.
All
that matters is your faith that makes you love others.
And
from John: If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples.
What
is a Christian? my answer is someone who loves God, who tries to live that out
in loving other people, loving themselves, caring for the creation.
A
Christian is someone who loves Jesus and tries to live that out in following the
call to be a disciple.
A
Christian is someone in whom the Holy Spirit is taking root, growing and will
hopefully show the fruits of kindness and peace, patience, faithfulness,
gentleness and self-control.
The
way we love God, the way we follow the path of discipleship and the way the spirit
acts in our life, will be different in each one of us, just as each one of us
is unique.
No comments:
Post a Comment