Introduction
to the Reading
Just before we hear the Scripture reading
this morning, a quick recap:
2 weeks ago, we thought about the raising of
Lazarus, and the various responses to that event.
Last week, Jesus washing the feet of the
disciples.
in the same chapter, Jesus foretells his
betrayal, and the denial by Peter;
in the next chapter, Jesus tells the
disciples about the Holy Spirit that will come,
Chapter 15 begins with I am the true vine and
my father is the vine grower and then,
still in this long section of teaching, Jesus
prays for the disciples. We start our reading at the end of that prayer.
John 17:25- 18:27
This is
another action packed story.
After the time spent with the disciples, Jesus
and the disciples moved across the Kidron valley, which is at one edge of the
city walls.
Scene 1: The arrest scene:
Now in a garden, Jesus and the disciples notice
some people arriving.
Jesus asks: who are you looking for
Guards say: Jesus
Jesus says: I am
Guards fall down
And the exchange again, this time without the
guards falling down.
Other gospels have Jesus praying and the
disciples sleeping, not John, here we have a bold Jesus. Jesus says I am, the
same name that we have for God in the conversation with Moses.
It also is a reminder of all the I am
statements John records:
I am the bread of life 6:35
I am the light of the world 8:12
I am the gate for the sheep 10:7
I am the good shepherd 10:11
I am the resurrection and the life 11:25
I am the way, the truth and the life 14:6
I am the true Vine 15:1
Recap
scene 1: arrest, Jesus says I am
scene
2: we move from the garden to the trial in the courtyard
of the house of the high priest. Annas questions Jesus about what he has been teaching, and
Jesus responds that all his teaching has been in public, ‘I have said nothing
in secret’.
Jesus
is then sent to Caiaphas, the current high priest, and son-in-law of Annas.
the
secrecy of the religious leaders in looking for ways to kill Jesus, the secrecy
of Judas in betraying Jesus are contrasted with the openness of Jesus.
While
this is happening, also in the courtyard is
scene
3:
Peter
and another disciple follow the guards and Jesus, to see where they are taking
Jesus. We don’t know the name of the other disciple, but he is known to the
High Priest, and it seems on good terms, as he is allowed to freely enter the
courtyard. This disciple arranges for Peter to be allowed in. the person on the
gate, asks:
“Aren’t you one of that man’s
followers?”
Peter
says: I am not!
Then
warming himself around a fire,
“Aren’t you one of that man’s followers?”
Peter
says: I am not!
And a relative of the guard whose ear
Peter had cut off:
“Didn’t I see you in the garden with that man?”
Peter
denies it.
We
don’t hear where the other disciples are at this point, so let’s not be too
hard on Peter.
Ever
wish you were somewhere else?
When
we hear or see violence, racism or sexism, do we speak up?
...Do something?
…...Or just try and blend into the background.
...Do something?
…...Or just try and blend into the background.
I
wonder if Peter felt a bit like that. Jesus has been arrested and he is trying
to find out what is happening, without getting involved. Impetuous Peter, is
trying to play it cool.
Many
Bibles put headings on paragraphs or sections, and you may already know I don’t
like them, the heading on this is ‘Peter denies Jesus’, but I think Peter does
more than that. Peter denies himself.
In
the other gospels, Peter says, I do not know this man.
Here in John it says: I am not (one of that man’s followers)
Here in John it says: I am not (one of that man’s followers)
Where
Jesus says: I am
Peter
says: I am not
When
do we say: I am not!
…. I am not one of that man’s followers
Not necessarily in so few words.
…. I am not one of that man’s followers
Not necessarily in so few words.
In
what ways do we deny our relationship with Jesus?
in what ways do we deny the presence of God in our lives?
in what ways do we deny our own truth?
in what ways do we deny the presence of God in our lives?
in what ways do we deny our own truth?
What
about when we say: I am not enough
What about when we try and fit in with the crowd
What about when we feel powerless to change anything,
and so we become spectators,
onlookers,
peeking around corners,
staying out of trouble.
What about when we try and fit in with the crowd
What about when we feel powerless to change anything,
and so we become spectators,
onlookers,
peeking around corners,
staying out of trouble.
At
the workshop some of us attended yesterday, one person talked of how Christianity
had started on the fringes, the edges of society, moved to the centre with
Constantine, and then popes and bishops held power with kings and emperors. Now Christianity
is moving from the centre to the edges. The Christian Church is no longer a
dominant player in our society.
Increasingly
we will need to find our voice,
our voice that tells of the transforming love of God in our life
our voice that tells our story
my voice that tells my story
your voice that tells your story
a story of fear
a story of difficult decisions
a story of mistakes
a story of love and grace and community and inclusion.
our voice that tells of the transforming love of God in our life
our voice that tells our story
my voice that tells my story
your voice that tells your story
a story of fear
a story of difficult decisions
a story of mistakes
a story of love and grace and community and inclusion.
What
people saw in Jesus all those years ago, is what people still look for today;
authenticity,
honesty,
knowing who you are and
living by your values.
authenticity,
honesty,
knowing who you are and
living by your values.
Do
our words and actions say: I am, or I am not one of
that man’s followers
Do
our lives say: I am, or I am not one of that man’s followers
Our
response to challenge
our response to poverty and violence and despair,
will all speak louder than our words and prayers.
our response to poverty and violence and despair,
will all speak louder than our words and prayers.
In
what ways do we deny our relationship with Jesus?
in what ways do we deny the presence of God in our lives?
in what ways do we deny our own truth?
in what ways do we deny the presence of God in our lives?
in what ways do we deny our own truth?
No comments:
Post a Comment