Before the
reading:
Last week we
heard about Nicodemus
Nicodemus, a
Jewish man, a religious leader, went to meet Jesus at night
This week we
will hear about an unnamed woman,
A Samaritan
woman, who has lived a hard life, who went to get water in the middle of the
day.
You may have
heard that this woman is a sinner, because she has had 5 husbands, and is now
living with another man. The reality for women in first century Israel, was
that marriages were arranged, woman could not divorce, but her husband could
divorce her.
She needed to
be living with a man, it could be a brother, a son, a brother in law, a cousin,
anyone who would take her in, otherwise she would not survive.
Nicodemus and
the unnamed woman,
both met
Jesus
One at night
One in
daylight
One a Jew
One a
Samaritan
Both confused
by what Jesus says to them
Both offered
new life
Nicodemus
went back into the shadows, for now
She went to
tell everyone
….Reading John 4:3-42, in 3 voices ...
John recorded my story, I am not really
sure why.
It is a few years since it happened.
People didn’t say much about my life.
you could call it tragic,
Marriage, divorce, marriage, death,
marriage – I know my family were trying to do the right thing by me, and the
ending of each marriage made it more difficult to arrange another husband.
Finally, a relative took pity on me, took me into their household, though at
times I feel like a housekeeper.
The day that John wrote about,
it was a warm day, and water was
running low,
so I went to fetch more water.
When I arrived, a man was sitting
there.
And this man spoke to me.
I didn’t realise who he was at first,
but I knew he was a Jew,
I wondered why he would talk to me,
ask me
for something.
Turned out he offered me, more than he
asked for.
I won’t go into all the details, you
have heard the story.
For me it was life changing.
I had downplayed my past
I mean who wouldn’t,
and Jesus, knew and acknowledged my
pain,
my sadness,
my isolation
my wondering if I belonged
He knew and acknowledged me
He didn’t criticise me or ask me to
justify or explain
So, I asked him about worship
And after we talked for a while, some
friends of his turned up and I went to tell the rest of the village about the
Messiah.
By then I knew who he was, this
mysterious man is the Messiah.
He took me, a tired woman,
A woman of no significance
And asked for water to quench his
thirst
..
And changed my life
..
And the life of the people who came to
know him through my story.
…..
[Replace
stole]
In this reading, Jesus goes from being
called:
Ø a Jew
Ø Sir
Ø a prophet
Ø Messiah
Ø the Saviour of the world
and the woman goes from
Ø an unnamed woman collecting water for
her household,
Ø having a theological discussion
Ø to telling people the good news
Last week we heard about the encounter
between Nicodemus and Jesus, and the need to be born by both water and spirit
the unnamed woman is offered living
water
and told that worship is not about
where,
but that ‘God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in
spirit and truth.’ John 4:24 NRSV
In her encounter with Jesus, this
woman is transformed
she not only leaves behind her water
jug,
She leaves
behind her ostracism,
her
marginalization,
her
loneliness,
because
Jesus has brought her into his fold.
She leaves
behind her disgrace,
her
disregard, and
the
disrespect
she has
endured
to enter
into a new reality,
a new life
that is abundant life.
-
Karoline M. Lewis
[on
screen]
She leaves
behind her ostracism,
her
marginalization,
her
loneliness,
because
Jesus has brought her into his fold.
She leaves
behind her disgrace,
her
disregard, and
the
disrespect
she has
endured
to enter
into a new reality,
a new life
that is abundant life.
-
Karoline M. Lewis
What do you
need to leave behind?
What new
life are you being offered?
If you wish,
as the music is playing,
you can
collect a stone, it will become a symbol of something you wish to leave behind.
Place it near the water.
The
butterflies are here if you would like to pick one up a sign of the new life
you are being offered.
PPT: come to
the water
People move
to collect stones and place
and/ or pick up
butterflies
No comments:
Post a Comment