The Hebrew
Bible has lots of rules to follow, there is the ten commandments, but also many
rules in the Old Testament that cover what to plant, and what and when to
sacrifice, and tithing and numerous other rules. Rabbis were often asked to
interpret these rules.
Rules help
us,
when we follow the road rules,
when we follow the road rules,
we all drive
on the same side of the road,
we know to stop at a red light,
we know to slow down in school zones.
we know to stop at a red light,
we know to slow down in school zones.
What happens
when we don’t follow the road rules? We can get fined and maybe lose our
licence, but not following the rules means we are more likely to be involved in
a collision, to hurt ourselves or other people.
Rules are there so we can share the road with other traffic and people, and stay
safe.
In the same
way, rules in the Bible are a framework for living together, not something to
tie us in knots.
The Scribe
asks Jesus what is the most important of the rules; and he responds:
“The
most important one is this: ‘Listen, Israel! The Lord our God is the only Lord.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your
mind, and with all your strength.’ The second most important commandment is
this: ‘Love your neighbour as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment
more important than these two.” [Good News version]
He doesn’t
speak of tithing, or sexuality, or what clothes to wear, or how to worship, or
what structure the church should follow. Jesus speaks about loving God and
loving neighbour.
Relationship
and community.
Being able
to quote these two commandments is one thing, but what might it look like for us
to live them out?
The greatest
commandment - Loving God with all out heart, soul, mind and strength. What
might loving God look like? The scribe agrees with Jesus’ answer, and continues
on that these two commandments are more important than burnt offerings and
sacrifice - remember this was a time when ritual and sacrifice was considered
very important, more important than how you treated people.
This is a
reminder that loving God is not shown in burnt offerings, or these days we
might say in an abundance of good works or giving to charity or pious living. We
are called to love God with all that we are, with our whole being, mentally,
physically, emotionally and spiritually. ‘Listen O Israel, the Lord our God is the
only Lord’ – not Caesar, not money, not our reputation.
What are the
factors in our decision making:
about our
food
where we live
our work
where we live
our work
Loving God with
all that we are may not be simple, but loving
your neighbour as yourself, doesn’t sound simple either.
I remember early in my time as a
Christian being told that I was at the end of the list,
J O Y,
Jesus first,
yourself last and
others in between,
there was even a song about it.
yourself last and
others in between,
there was even a song about it.
Yet, Jesus is saying that the second
most important commandment is loving our neighbour, the person who is in need,
in the same way that we love our self. One person explained this by thinking about it
like the oxygen masks on an airplane: the instructions are to ‘“attach
your mask first before assisting others.” The point is clear: If I do not take
care of myself, I cannot take care of others. If I do not love myself, I cannot
love others.’ [Seasons of the Spirit]
Love
neighbour as we love ourselves – not
as much as, or more than, but in the same way as we love ourselves.
While
some people are better at loving themselves than their neighbour, others are
very poor at loving self.
We need to
love our self, which can be difficult for many of us, because if we don’t love
ourselves, how can we love others? This doesn’t mean thinking we are better
than others, or that we never get anything wrong, but it does mean recognising
and valuing the person that God has made you.
For
example, I will generally give people the benefit of the doubt, most people do
the best they can given their life situation. BUT I don’t always give myself
the same generosity. Sooner or later I get resentful, because I am giving myself
a hard time, so I end up getting annoyed with people.
I
need to allow myself to be human,
amazing yet imperfect,
chaotic and creative
chaotic and creative
Loving our
neighbour includes living in ways that do not exploit people. In Biblical times
this meant leaving grain for people to glean, which you can read more about in
the Ruth story;
not
oppressing your workers;
not discriminating against the disabled;
not speaking falsely about people.
not discriminating against the disabled;
not speaking falsely about people.
Loving our
neighbours seems to me to be about living in ways that offer life to all
people, the fullness of life that Jesus speaks about.
We
love because God first loved us.
If
we can’t /don’t love our self, can we really love our neighbour, or are we
acting out of duty?
I
know some of you are thinking –
but I am not lovable!
If you only knew what I was really
like!
If you knew half of what I have done!
Well
God knows what you are really like, and God loves you.
Not
lovable? God disagrees, God loves you. Even though you can be a horrible,
grumpy, rude …… [fill in your own blanks] person, God loves you.
Some
years ago at a camp, I received a Placemat that has a picture and the words: God
don’t make no junk!
We love because
God first loved us
Love God
with all that we are
Love ourselves,
accept our dignity and humanity.
Love our
neighbour, the one in need.
What
would need to change for you to love yourself?
What would
your life look like?
Thanks, Patty. I sermon I can read! Very much appreciated and I can see the thread running through our chat yesterday. Did you watch Insight last night? It was about people making amends after big mistakes. One was a Christian woman who had sex once when she was drunk and was riddled with guilt. The other incidents were more serious. Here's the link:http://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/tvepisode/making-amends
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, Rowena